Here is a common list of gluten intolerance symptoms. This list does not complete all documented symptoms of Gluten Sensitivity (GS). These symptoms vary significantly from person to person, depending on the level or severity of GS and or Celiacs. The reason why this list is not complete is that there are still other diseases and illness that are under scientific investigation.
I myself had over 15 of these symptoms prior to becoming gluten free. Some of them I still get due to eating something that was not identified as being gluten. This is why I always stress to read the ingredients if you are not sure. Check out one of my safe list or make sure it has one of the GF symbols.
If you feel you have more than 5 of the below symptoms I would advise seeing your family doctor and get tested for either Celiac or Gluten Sensitivity (GS). Feel free to print this page.
- Abdominal Distention
- Abdominal Pain and Cramping
- Acid Reflux
- Alternating Bouts of Diarrhea and Constipation
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD, ADHD)
- Bone Density Loss
- Borborygmi (stomach rumbling)
- Stunted Growth and Failure to Thrive
- Depression, Anxiety and Irritability
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis (eczema)
- Foggy Feeling of Confusion
- Malodorous Flatulence
- Malodorous Stools
- Gluten Ataxia
- Grayish Stools
- Hair Loss (Alopecia)
- Headaches and Migraines
- Joint pain
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Lactose intolerance
- Mouth sores or mouth ulcers
- Numbness or tingling in the patient’s hands and feet
- Peripheral Neuropathy (including either a tingling or sensation of swelling your toes and fingers)
- Sjogren’s Disease
- Steatorrhea (high lipids in the stool, which may cause the stool to float)
- Teeth and Gum Problems
- Turner Syndrome
- Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies
- Unexplained Weight loss
I hope this gluten intolerance checklist helps you and please do not try to diagnose yourself with the list I provided for you. Always consult a professional like I did, because this is a very serious condition.
See more articles at Gluten Free Ottawa.